Member of 1968 U.S. Olympic Hockey Team. Collegiate All-American at Michigan State in 1966 when he scored 27 goals and assisted on 30 others in 30 games to leas his team to the national collegiate championship. Was first American-born player to complete season as leading scorer in Western Collegiate Hockey League, considered the strongest college league in the United States.
Chairman of the Physical Education Department of Western Reserve University from 1926 to 1971, he was chairman of the National Physical Fitness Committee of the AAU from 1974 through 1977, a member of the AAUâ€™s National Gymnastics Committee form 1963-76 and a member of the U.S. Olympic Gymnastics Committee from 1968 to 1971. Served as president of the Lake Erie AAU in 1973 and 1974 and chairman of the Lake Erie AAU Gymnastics Committee form 1955 to 1973.
A major figure in the development of amateur baseball in Cleveland, he served as president of the Cleveland Baseball Federation from 1960 to 1976. Served as a member of the board of the Federation from 1948 until 1960 and chaired the Class â€œFâ€ baseball program for youngsters for 12 years. Also served as a member of the Ohio Racing Commission for 12 years and was named â€œMan of the Year in Ohio Racingâ€ in 1967.
Fencing coach at Case Western Reserve University, head fencing coach for the Cleveland Division of Recreation and a charter member of the U.S. Academy of Arms, he was responsible for the development of numerous fencing programs in the city. Was selected as a coach of the U.S. Pan-American team in 1971 and coached in the World Fencing Championships in 1971 and 1972. Served two terms as vice-president of the National Fencing Coaches Association of America.
Director of the Cleveland Athletic Club for nearly five years and a leading figure in AAU activities. Served as chairman of the National AAU Boxing Committee and was a member, manager or chairman of several U.S. Olympic Boxing Teams. The Jimmy Lee Foundation now provides college scholarships for deserving Cleveland high school athletes annually.
Organizer, first president (1941-42) and director (1942-55) of the Greater Cleveland Knights of Columbus Track Meet, he played a major role in making the meet one of the top indoor track and field meets in the country. Served as president of the Northeastern Ohio AAU in 1945-46, was a member of the National AAU Board of Governors and a member of the U.S. Olympic delegation in 1948 and 1952.
Owner of the Cleveland professional hockey club, known chronologically as the Indians, Falcons and Barons during his ownership from 1930 until 1949. He built the Cleveland Arena in 1937, a building which remained a show place for indoor sports in Cleveland for more than 35 years. Interested and actively involved in many other sports, he served as chairman of the Boxing Commission in the early 30â€™s.
Served as Fenn Collegeâ€™s first and only athletic director from the inception of intercollegiate athletics at the school in 1929 until it became Cleveland State University in 1965, then stayed on CSUâ€™s first athletic director for an additional year, a total of 37 years of service to the school in all. Coached basketball, baseball, track, golf and tennis at some time during his tenure at Fenn and was responsible for launching every intercollegiate sports program for men now in existence at Cleveland State save cross country.
Treasurer of the Cleveland Baseball Federation for over 50 years, he was responsible for raising hundreds of thousands of dollars to equip youngsters to play sandlot baseball in Cleveland and to cover their medical expenses. His promotion of the annual Sandlot Day exhibition baseball game played annually by the Cleveland Indians beginning in 1948 was the cornerstone on which his successful fund-raising efforts rested.
A prominent supporter of amateur athletics in Cleveland, he was president of Favorite Knits Sporting Goods, a company which sponsored numerous teams in various sports. Organized the first Jewish Softball League in 1932, which later developed into the Jewish Recreation Council. Served as the first Amateur Softball Association commissioner in Greater Cleveland in 1935 and later he helped bring the first world softball tournament to Cleveland.
1120 Chester Ave. Suite 470 Cleveland, OH 44114